Saturday, March 10, 2007

A dose of reality

As bad as things can sometimes get. My children at the very least have two parents who love them and place their needs above all others.

A lot of children don't have that gift.

I grew up fairly poor. We had a lot of financial issues and my father was an alcoholic...but I was loved. I knew I was loved and I knew that I had people to take care of me and wanted the best for me. (I have some stories that I'll start telling of my childhood. It got crazy at times.) I want more for my children. I want them to have a better childhood than I had.

But these children...they'd be happy to have my childhood.
UNKNOWN FATHER

This is what is going to be the downfall of our civilization. How do we fix this? Throwing money at it won't work. How do we fix these people? How do we save these children? All I can think of is doing my best to make sure that my sons never end up as "Unknown Fathers."
But even in my own family, I have members who could quite easily be in these stories. They have support and love but their children were not brought into this world in the best of situations. Even with love and education...they still made bad choices.
(sigh)
And the smallest and most helpless are the one who have to pay the price.

1 comment:

Hopewell said...

Sadly, it's not just an American problem or a DC problem. My kids are from Ukraine where there are thousands just like those on the bulletin board. The long-term ramifications are HUGE. My son, now 12, struggles with no male role model [I adopted as a single parent]. I do what I can to connect him with men aside from my often-drunk brother. This year he has a two male teachers at school and a male Sunday School teacher. These kids--not just the boys--will have a scary world to face with no "big guy" to lead their way. I fear, too, for my daughter. She has no man to show her how she should be treated. All this is tough, but I can't imagine their fate had I not stepped up and adopted them. They'd be drug addicts, prosititues or dead by about age 16. Blanket these kids in prayers.

Great post. Great linked article.
Praying for your "Dad"
Lisa at
http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com/