Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Boys of Almost Spring ----Worst Mom Ever

Baseball has begun.
It wasn't a great as we had hoped.

I'm coaching t-ball with a Dad helping. He's used to the older kids. I'll have a better plan for next week so the boys can get few more basics. It doesn't matter how well you hit if you have no fielding skills.
But they did learn the bases and all the infield positions. Not bad for a bunch of 5 and 6-year old boys.

M has practice the same time as A. So I won't get to see his practices since I'm coaching. This bothers me. M has young coaches again this year. I don't view this as a bad thing. I just wish he had a "Dad" like figure to coach him while his Dad is deployed. He seemed to have fun but I can tell that he's not happy about me not being there.

J's team...well...the coach seems very....um...driven. More so than we're used to.
He also forgot J. He was about to dismiss practice when J finally yelled out that he had not batted.
Instead of apologizing, the coach seemed annoyed. I'm hoping that he was just embarrassed that he missed a child. J was upset by it. No one likes to be forgotten, even with good reason.
He's a good kid. He doesn't cause a scene. He doesn't act up. He does what he is told to do. Sometimes this allows him to blend into the background. Thankfully, he has not decided to "act up" in order to get attention. I encourage him to stay that course. I told him that I would keep an eye on the situation and would intervene if necessary. I'm going to pray that I won't have to.
Of course, to add insult to injury...I didn't see the incident or his batting.

So ...it's a mixed bag. I'm doing triple duty as Mom, Dad, and Coach and feeling like I'm selling all four kids short. I'm just stinky Mom this season. Too many boys and just not enough me.
(sigh) Only 9 more weeks to go.

Earlier in the day, the boys' speech therapist expressed concern about A and M's motor skills. It seems that they have had a serious regression in sensory issues in the 6 weeks they've missed OT. (due to insurance issues...not my choice.) A is covered in bruises. He fell down the stairs twice. He's bumped his head numerous times. And he can't seem to stay seated in his chair at all.
M is twitchy, unable to concentrate, and can not focus his eyes as well as he used to.
I feel guilty that I haven't fought this harder than I have. Tomorrow, I'll finally get the needed paperwork to appeal (again, a delay not caused by me but I still feel bad about it.) and hopefully they will be back in OT by April.

So, two stinky days in a row. M had his Ophthalmologist appointment on Monday. His eye alignment is way off. Way. off. So bad that his doctor cried out about it. (As in, "Oh my gosh....what in the world is going on here?") We go back in 3 months for another re-check. If he's not doing much much better...something will have to be done.
A third surgery could be in the picture. It's been 2 years since his last one which was just on his right eye. His first surgery was on both eyes. Now he's having trouble with his left eye.

3 comments:

Pensguys said...

Oh NO!!!!!!!

I think you need a {{hug}} until Zoodad can come back home.

Dy said...

Oh, Sheila. {{{hugs}}} You're not a stinky mom. You're an amazing mom. But you are human, and it's hard enough to be just one thing to all the children, let alone everything to everyone. Don't let being spread so thin get you thinking you're the stinky mom. You rock!! Keep on doing what you do. Your boys will look back one day and "get it". And in the meantime, you've got a cheering section (not that it makes it better, but we'll still cheer for you).

Dy

Job said...

Sheila - you are a GREAT mom. Truly. you do more than your fair share for your family. This is not an easy time for any of you...