Poor Zoodad. The time away from home is really starting to affect him. It's been 119 days since we last saw him live and in person. Even longer than that since he's lived here at home. (We made several trip to visit him at his training duty station.)
Christmas hit him hard and he hasn't quite recovered from it. That and a phone call in which he took about time to talk to each boy individually. When it got to the baby's turn..he, the baby, just cried. He was so emotional over hearing his Daddy speaking to him that he couldn't even speak. When I explained what was happening to ZooDad...it broke his heart.
Today, he called four times. He had just received his latest package and the pictures indicated that the children were just going to continue growing whether he was around or not.
"I can't do this anymore."
Of course that broke my heart. I know this man. He's proud of his work. He completes things the way they need to be done because he values the work. He never, ever gives up and he works like a dog. Over our almost 14 years together, I have heard numerous people remark in amazement of his work ethic and his power to get the impossible done. Including one particular comment from a Colonel at a Hail and Farewell about ZooDad's staying power.
He's Superman.
But I know his secret. All that he does, he does all this for us. His family is the thing that motivates him.
When you take the "us" out of the picture...he loses that strength.
It's like reverse kyrptonite. He needs us. He needs me. He needs the boys.
I spent the phone calls trying to do what I could to build him back up. To encourage him and relieve his worries.
We miss him, we need him, but we've got everything under control. I'm handling it.
About 104 more days until he's home on leave. We've already done the math.
"Daddy still lives here, you know. He's just off on a trip. He's being a soldier." Says the baby. I guess he was making sure I was clear on the facts.
"He be home. He will. We give him a biiiiiig hug, Momma "
It's a mutual need.
3 comments:
Oh, you HAD to make me cry, didn't you? {{{{hugs}}}}
Oh that is truly a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it.
I feel for you guys.
I'm bawling.....
(((Hugs))) and hope that everyone feels better fast.
Post a Comment