Sunday, December 31, 2006

A good boy

As I was busily uploading pictures to send to ZooDad, I heard a commotion in the living room. Not enough of a commotion to distract me but enough to take notice of.
"Momma...I can hold my airplane, can't I? Brothers said do not touch the tree but I can hold mine, right. I'm not a bad boy"

The words "bad boy" caught my ear. And I looked up to discover the littlest one holding his ornament for this year: a C140 flown by Santa and a reindeer with other reindeer pushing cargo of presents out the rear door.
It wasn't a glass ornament but still delicate.

For a moment I struggled to think of the the 'right" thing to do.

"You can hold it if you ask first, but Christmas ornaments belong on the tree. Can you hold it carefully until I can put it back on the tree?

"Oh yes, I can be careful. I'm still a good boy right?"

"Of course you are. Just be a careful boy too."

I'm not sure where he got this idea of being a good/bad boy. It's not something we ever say in this house. I am careful to say that actions are bad but not people.
But somehow he picked it up and in the middle of his tiny three-year-old tirades he will yell out in toddler rage, "You a BAD Momma."
Yeah...I can be, but I'm trying to be better.

2 comments:

Pensguys said...

Awww....what a sweet little guy....we try to teach the same thing...no bad boys, only bad actions.

Job said...

i hear you... I hear you... same over here. I think they get it from tv shows, movies, other kids, etc. I don't always like what i hear from my own either.