Thursday, December 14, 2006

Well I did it

I did the radio stint.
It turned out to be two different radio stations at the hospital.

The first one wasn't that great.
It was a recorded interview and the DJ guy wanted a sob story. But I don't have a sob story. I just have great kids who are doing well.
I can't cry and tell how worried I was because...a. I had lots of support so I wasn't ever distraught and b. I'm not the type to pimp myself or my kids out for a buck.
Well, I'm not willing to place our raw emotions out for public consumption. I can vent (with much self-editing) to an anonymous Internet but not out in my community when people know me. I'm a guarded person.

Anyway, the first DJ guy seemed less than impressed with me.
It didn't hurt my feelings any because I just wasn't willing to relive those first few months after diagnosis. Especially since we have made such progress.
I do wish that I had talked more about the progress the boys have made.

The second DJ guy had some off interview questions for me. He wanted some personal information about Apsergers and in particular to know what tipped us off that something was wrong. So we talked a bit.
Then it was time to interview with his partner.
That one was a live interview. I was so nervous. But this DJ was a complete 180 than the first. He wanted to know the positives of our experiences. How the hospital had helped us in a supportive way. I had more than enough to say about that area.
M and A listened and watched just amazed at the whole process.

All in all...it was fun. It was hard to try to organize my thoughts. I had to think about stuff that I just don't try to dwell on.
I would do again if asked though.

I did something for our community.
If I influenced just one person to contribute, it was worth it.

1 comment:

Pensguys said...

Good for you...glad it turned out well.