Friday, I dropped the boys off at my mom's and then set off for that bastion of geekdom...the computer repair shop.
My precious laptop had stopped charging and that is like the kiss of death for a laptop. No power turns it into a large rectangular paper weight. I had already called the computer guys and they speculated a worst case scenario: the soldered leads for the power supply were knocked loose and the whole thing would need to be shipped back to the manufacturer for an expensive repair. I was hoping for a less complicated problem: faulty power cord.
But let me get there.
I dropped off the boys and then enjoyed the 30 minute drive in the van all by myself. I forgot my iPod so I was doomed to listening to the radio. Let's see, we have 2 Christmas stations, various rap and country stations, talk radio, christian music, an oldies, a top 40, 2 alternative stations, a classic rock.
The afternoon DJ at the classic rock station is a long time friend of mine. I've known Dale since we were in 5th grade. He was my date for my Sorority formal senior year. It's so odd to hear him on the radio and it's a far cry from what his original career was supposed to be. But he seems to really enjoy himself and he's good at it.
Anyway, Dale is playing REO Speedwagon, Journey, Loverboy, 38 Special...songs I know. And I'm rocking out in the van (I have 8 speaker surround sound.) and mentally admonishing Dale every time he announces that he's on 103 Eagle Classic Rock.
Dale...this is not Classic Rock. Classic Rock is NOT 80's music. We are not old enough for our music to be classic rock.
We just aren't. Classic rock is Led Zepllin, or CCR, or anything from the 70's. "Keep on Lovin' You," is NOT classic rock.
As the van is thumping towards the next red light I notice that I'm not the only person stuck in the 80's today. The same music is blaring from the car next to me...a red Iroc-Z with a mullet wearing driver.
Rock on Mullet dude.
Having finally arrived at the computer fix-it store it was now time to play "Freak out the Geeks**."
I explained my threefold problem: lack of power, sticky mouse button, and funky screen.
Geek guys were convinced that it was a solder post issue. I was convinced it was a power cord issue. We were at an impasse.
Can you please test the power cord?
The begrudgingly tested it. No power. Just to prove they truly were that Geek personality, they tested a good power cord. Amazingly it had power. Then they tested both again. Same results.
Shocking.
Then decide to plug my computer in with the new power cord.
It worked.
All were amazed.
Except me. I was vindicated.
Of course, I had to mention that we could have saved half a hour by simply plugging the laptop up to a new cord and testing it that way. (All three geek heads just stared at me.)
Then we moved on to the mouse problem. After I explained to the head geek that I understood that the mouse button did not have to make a clicking noise but that I was more concerned by the missing cause and effect reaction. I click the button and nothing happens. That lack of clicking noise is not the issue.
The solution...air in a can.
Air in a can is the computer geek version of duct tape. It can fix anything.
Finally they started looking at my on again, off again screen issue. It's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things and I already knew it wasn't a fixable issue. At this point I just wanted to annoy the guys.
They pondered, messed (up) some settings, and had a group meeting...then finally announced that is was the LCD going out and advised me that I could eventually hook the laptop up to a screen as a last resort.
Or if needed, they could remove my memory and put it in an external hard drive to access from another computer.
All of which I already knew but I thanked them. I let them know that I just needed the laptop to survive until April when my own Geek would be home visiting and could select a new laptop for me and transfer the files.
Then they all just looked at me. Three young geeky heads just staring at me. I wondered if they were amazed by the fact that I had not only been unfazed by the whole deal but that I had also been correct in diagnosing my power problem
"What are you doing?" the oldest geek finally asked.
"Oh,"I said looking down at my hands, "I'm knitting a pair of socks. They're a Christmas present."
You see, when I came in, there was someone in front of me. Since I hate down time, I pulled out my knitting and had kept knitting through out the whole computer conversation. I had quite forgotten that I was doing it but it was better than just standing there and staring at the guys while they did their thing.
"Those are so cool," the youngest geek piped in. "How can you do that?"
"It's like writing code. Once you learn what each stitch does, it just comes naturally."
Three heads nodded in understanding.
$65 for a new power cord and a can of air.
Then I walked out with laptop that would work and my half knit socks.
I wonder what they thought of me when I cranked up the mini-van and "Sister Christian" started blaring from windows. (Damn Dale...80's rock is not Classic. Geesh.)
Not to mention that I correctly identified the Star Wars ships that were hanging over the workspace.
** Please note that the term "geek" is used in the most loving of ways. I am married to one of the species. I am used to dealing with their brand of single mindedness. It's predictable and I've learned how to gently and sometimes not-so-gently guide them back to more proper mindset.
No comments:
Post a Comment