Did I ever tell you about my big TV interview?
Oh yes, I made the big time once. (actually twice)
It was back when M, who is now eight years old, was a toddler. We were at our local library for the ubermom story time. I was just a wannabe ubermom at the time. I couldn't compete with the heeled boot wearing moms with their impeccable hair and makeup accessorized by their coordinated clothed children. But buddy...I sure tried.
The evening before my big TV moment, a group of kids had been caught doing some adult style of mischief and the general discussion in the community was, "Where were the parents when all this was going down?"
So the local TV news folks set out to interview the populace...to get the ubermom on the street's opinion of what what going on.
They got me instead. They got me in a turtleneck with a bright light sensitive toddler on her hip and a 4-year-old who seemed to be trying to climb back into the womb to escape the lights, camera, and nosey reporter.
And their question was, "Should parents be responsible for the actions of their minor aged children?" My answer recorded for posterity was, " Sure. If my dog gets loose and bites someone...I'd be held responsible. Why shouldn't I be responsible for the children that I bring into the world."
At that very moment, I knew I was not ever going to be the average soccer ubermom who drops the kids off at the kids off at the elite private school then heads out for a latte', a manicure, and a quick cardio class at the gym.
I was destined for something else.
And they used my little quote.
Yep, they showed it at 5pm, 5:30, and again at 6:oo.
And that's not all.
This particular station did a little blurb every half hour on the local cable channel for Headline News. (Yes, the CNN Headline news.) I was on there too. Every half hour until 6 am.
My Dad got the biggest kick out of it.
Of course, I wasn't actually on Headline News, just our local station breakaway.
But still. It was far more publicity than I had planned on.
Far more than I had dressed for anyway.
That was my second time on TV.
My first time was at a state band competition.
My parents weren't able to take off work to watch but my Dad remembered that it was being broadcast state wide on PBS. He turned on the TV and low and behold...there was me...dancing away and twirling my flag. Camera just on me.
I had no idea. I was concentrating on the dancing and twirling. But at least I was all made up, had good hair and was smiling and enjoying myself.
Which is a whole lot more than I could sat for my second time on TV.
Yep, There's nothing like throwing on clothes, pulling your hair up in a pony tail, rushing to story time, and ending up on the news. That'll make you swear off going to story time for good.
At least it did for me.
1 comment:
I love that story about the repeated news item quote. I think I woudl be horrified if that were me. But I do agree with your apinion on that minor age topic. And so would have many others, which is why they ran it repeatedly on the news. Thanks for sharing
Post a Comment