Monday, July 31, 2006

Talladega Boy

S has become obsessed with how the car works. He's even turned into a mini backseat driver at the wise old age of three.

It's raining Momma. Turn on your rain flippers.
The light is green. You can go Momma.
Hey Momma, your spinning wheel is turning. (My ADD brain starts singing "What comes up...must come down.")
Did you put on your "clinkers?" You're tunring...you should put on your clinkers, you know.

And while I am greatly appreciative to have such a highly verbal and curious child...I could do without the constant advice from the middle seat.
Gentle requests for a little quiet tend to fall on deaf ears. Loud requests for just a little quiet please get me about 5 seconds of peace.

The boy has an agenda. He plans to do all of ZooDad's constructive driving advice while he is gone.

Not only that...the boy is making plans to drive too.
Yesterday, we all exited the van after a monumental grocery shopping expedition ... all except S. He climbed into the driver's seat and refused to leave as the older boys unloaded a beastly amount of groceries. I finally retrieved him from the seat with much yelling and tears with him howling, "I just want to push all the buttons."

Later that evening, I got in the van to run an errand, forgetting that car-obsessed child had been working the driver's area like a madman. My seat was in the wrong position, the wipers were going (both front and back), my blinkers were on, and the lights were dimmed down completely.
Thankfully, you can't mess with the stereo system when the power is off.
Car boy. In 13 years, I'm going to have some trouble.

Speaking of cars...on our trip to Mississippi we passed the Talladega speedway. It's right there on I-20 in Alabama.
Now I don't follow NASCAR but I know enough to recognize the drivers and a few tracks. I'm probably going to make some fan cringe in sheer horror, but the first thought I had when I saw the track was...."Hey, that looks just like the racetrack in the movie Cars."
I also noted that the condition on the track was far superior to the condition of that portion of I-20 but that's not saying much.
I've been on clay roads with better conditions.

Zoo mom is pulling in to the pit for new tires.

No comments: