It's noisy here at the zoo.
And it's not the boys.
It's the frogs. We have tree frogs. Lots and lots of tree frogs.
Our house backs up to a "wetland park" also called swampy land with a creek. But it's really not a bad situation. Our elevation is such that we have no concerns of flooding and we have no back neighbors. Well, not human ones.
We do however, get much of the swamp wildlife. Thankfully, in the 7 years we have lived here, we have never spotted a venomous snake in our yard. I'm sure they have passed through, but we've never seen them. My left side neighbor, The Snake Hunter, has both spotted and sighted a couple of bad boys and I have witnessed and identified their sad little carcasses.
Recently, we unearthed a cache of box turtle eggs. We reburied them lightly and later got to see one of the hatchlings emerge. A couple of weeks ago, a red tailed hawk landed right in the middle of the boys' play area. (That was way cool!) A Carolina Wren has built a sweet little nest, complete with 4 chirping babies, in my garage...on my fertilizer shelf. Mamma bird flies in and out the back door, past the dogs, the various gear, and any boys who are digging through the upright freezer.
So you get the idea. If I could get the critters to pick up a broom, I'd be Snow White in the suburbs.
But today is June 1st, so that pretty much means it is frog season. And my house appears to be prime frog mating territory. All morning long I have listened to one particularly vocal fellow boasting of his frog manliness. He's is nothing if not determined.
I happen to like the frogs. Frogs are my very favorite animal. I love their little bug eyes and froggy smiles. Frogs and newts just ooze of cuteness in my book.
Let's just say that ZooDad does not share my frog enthusiasm. For him, frog season is like a return of the plagues. (If ZooDad had been Pharoah, Moses and the gang would have been quickly escorted out of Egypt after the 2nd plague. It would have been quick victory.)
He stepped out of the house this morning and then looked back with horror, "What is that sound? Is that a frog?"
Yes, honey. The frogs are back.
He whipped his head around looking for the vile noisemaker, "You better keep the doors shut. Don't let those things get in the house."
My brave soldier. Let's hope the enemy doesn't come bearing frogs.
1 comment:
Too funny! I also love frogs. Who can look at those funny creatures and not smile? The little lizards that crawl all over the house are pretty cute, too.
Post a Comment