This is long so draw up a chair.
Yesterday, we had one of those unfortunate encounters while A and M were at therapy.
Yep, some well intentioned fellow therapy-getter asked, "Why aren't you boys in school today?' For one brief moment I thought the following diatribe: "Excuse me. Do you see me... the mother of these children, sitting here? If you have any questions about my children, you should direct them to me only. I have taught my children about the dangers of strangers and YOU, being well aware of all the things going on in the world, should know better than to try to undermine my parental authority by tempting them into conversation with a stranger. And while we are on that point, why should I and my children have to answer questions about our private business. I would never dream of asking you why you weren't at work today. I would assume that you were a responsible adult and capable of making decisions for you own and your families wellbeing."
I'm a fast thinker.
But I didn't say any of that. I just grinned because my 10 year old, who was very busy doing his math work when the person interrupted him, answered..."I am at school. I'm homechooled."
I knew immediately from the pursed lips of the stranger that this was the worst answer my son could possibly give. Thankfully, my son had a question about multiplying multi-digit numbers with decimals and the explanation lasted until the annoyed person was called back to therapy.
Yes, I know that many people have problems with homeschooling.
My children will be sheltered.
My children will not learn what they need to know.
I can't teach them what they need to know.
My children won't learn how to deal with bullies.
My children will miss out of school friends.
My children will be socially awkward.
Homeschooling is not at all what some people think it is.
It's impossible to shelter children these days. And I really don't try. They watch the news so they have some idea of atrocities that occur around the world. They listen to mainstream music, though I do seek out music without profanity and overt sexual references. But I don't protect them any more than a parent should protect a child.
They aren't missing anything academically. Well, I take that back. My children are unversed in most of the political correctness and dumbed down curriculum that is rampant in our school system. My 10 year old has read MLK Jr's "I have a dream speech" instead of being fed bits and pieces of it by teachers who may not have read the whole thing themselves. (I'm still reeling from the "I have a dream that you will learn your math facts." poster that is still on the wall of the school. I just find it so offensive.)
We have this wonderful opportunity as homeschoolers. I get to teach to mastery. That means, if my kids don't learn it...we don't move on until they do. No child gets left behind at our house. There are no cracks to fall through. They get individualized private instruction in all areas with programs tailored to meet their needs.
And I think I can teach them what they need to know. Let's just pretend that I didn't have degree in Biology and a minor in Organic Chemistry with all the math classes that a science degree calls for. Let's also pretend that I don't have any experience in teaching children ages 5 through 16. School was not that hard. I mean really. not. that. hard. I managed to graduate from high school with what I would have to assume was enough high school knowledge to make it in the world. If I did not have enough high school knowledge...I shouldn't have that lovely blue and orange diploma. I should know enough to impart that hard won wisdom upon the shining faces of my numerous offsrping.
Ok, ok, ok...assume I didn't learn enough. We have access to libraries, internet, magazines, and other educated people. If my children can't figure it out and I can't figure it out, I think we can manage to find someone who can.
My children do learn how to deal with bullies and pushy people. We get lots of experience in dealing with them in the waiting rooms, grocery stores, and other public spaces. But they don't learn how to deal with these annoying people by watching other children (who don't know how to deal with bullies either.) My children get to watch how I and my husband handle these people who have overstepped their boundaries. They see us stand up for what we feel is right. They see us hold our tongue when pushed and apologize when we loose our composure. They get to see the ways to respond before they are put into the situation. They never have to fend for themselves.
As for the rest...the socialization problem...it's not a problem. My kids have friends. In fact, they keep too busy sometimes.
Right now my "unsocialized and awkward" children are in the front yard playing with 2 friends in the neighborhood. Currently, there are 6 boys and two girls who just stopped by to join the game of basketball. Everyone is playing wonderfully even though my children are ages 10 through 2. The brothers are looking out for each other and their friends are OK with that. Sometimes they even bring their siblings along too. In our yard no one is allowed to exclude. You play with everyone or you go home.
So I have 4 boys who have great friends, some of which live in the house with them. They have sports and scouts to round out their experiences. They have an education that meets their individual needs. They get to learn how to handle the ills of society by observing from a safe distance and modeling behavior. They get to spend time with family on our own schedule instead of one dictated by the state.
And none of them has a desire to wear designer clothes.
And homeschooling is a bad thing?
2 comments:
love love love this post!!! I'm going to spread it everyone i know!!!!!
You make me cry--my two had to head back to public school last week. Keep doing what you are doing--it is well worth it. As a single mom it became too "dangerous" due to problems with sitters during my office time.
Lisa at
http://www.bloglines.com/blog/HopewellMomSchool
Post a Comment