Ever since we found out that A had lost his special needs medical benefits, I've been in standby mode. I just can't handle the unknown, especially an unknown dependent upon the whims of other people.
Today, things are not quite so unknown. We hired an advocate and yesterday we all sat down at the school to discuss what care he would get through them. He missed out on OT by .07ths of a point. Rules state 2 standard deviations below the norm in one area on two tests or -1.5 SDs in two areas. He scrored -2.33 in one area and -1.93 on the other test of that area (that translates into one point too high.) and he scored -1.4 in two other areas. (N retest was done since he "passed.")
He does qualify for speech though. He'll get two 30 minute sessions each week.
We're still fighting the other. He'll be retested and the school says that they will accept the results. They know he needs help. They know he does have significant developmental delay, even if the scores are a tad too to high. And they know he has know he has no cognitive problems (1.4 SD above average) and his language is wonderful (1.3 SD above average.)
So while it isn't the best outcome, I can now take the next steps. I'm not just circling and waiting on someone else to do their job.
1 comment:
I remember sitting in a room being told similiar things about my oldest son. Desperate for services but the stupid guidelines prevented help from being given according to state standards. I was so peeved when they said that they knew he needed it but couldn't offer it.
Hang in there, it will all fall into place eventually.
Post a Comment