Monday, November 14, 2005

If I'm not "here," Here's where I'll be...

I got the final date and hearing request form. As of November 30th, A will no longer have Medicaid. This means we have to stop all therapy until the beginning of the year. Hopefully by that time the school will step up and get their ball rolling. He qualifies but they haven't even started the IEP's or anything. If we don't have a start date by the end of the month, I will start legal action against them.

Speaking of legal action, If I'm not around this week it's because I am getting info together to request a hearing at the state level for Medicaid.
I have several salient points.

1. A's level of care has not changed in the 2 years from his initial approval to this denial. If that level was good enough for approval, it should be good enough for continuation.

2. He has shown progress. He's up from "untestable" to 6% in speech and from 1% to 4% in motor skills in general. So we aren't talking about a kid who will never reach full potential. He has an excellent chance of a productive life IF we can get the therapy.

3. We can't "get" the required 5 visits a week because the STATE limits us to 10 visits of each type of therapy a month. A has maxed out the ST part but can only handle half the OT load. Twice a week would kill him and me.
I even found my original notes WITH the name of the case worker from 2 years ago. We can subpoena her and the other parents in the support group if DFACS wants to backpedal.

I am defending against A's current case worker. She's on our side. All we have to do is convince the judge to come down on A's side
So I am putting together a book and having it bound. It will cover all of A's issues and the progress he has made in the past two years. I am including research to show that way the state has limited us at (10 visits) is counter intuitive to Apraxia treatment (5 days 30 minutes a day versus 2 days for an hour each) and also the predictions of future problems if these issues are not resolved.


I hate doing this stuff. I hate focusing on all the stuff he can't do and how behind he is.

I rather focus on what an amazing child he is and the fact that he read his very first sentences this weekend.

Cat. Cat sat. Fat cat sat.

No it's not fine literature but this is great, especially from a kid who wasn't even supposed to be potty trained by now. (He's potty trained AND reading.)

So if I'm not "here," I'm out preparing for battle. Me and A are taking on the whole world.

1 comment:

Dy said...

Oh, what a glorious sentence!! I'm so proud of him! And of you, too. Keep up the good work. Parents really are the best advocates for children, and he's got the best of the best on his side. Give him a hug from me. :-)
Dy