Tuesday, September 27, 2005

You have to be nice to the Secret Service Guys

Mrs. Sheehan's arrest yesterday reminded me of our trip to the White House a couple of years ago.
I hung out behind right by the fence on Pennsylvania Avenue for quite some time and managed not to be arrested, even when I brought up shooting the White House.
I guess the Secret Service guy found me endearing.

Either that or as a mom of three boys (one in a baby sling) with a Former-Army hubby, I didn't seem much a threat. I'm sure that overhearing my pervasive Republican brainwashing of my children may have saved me also.

ZooDad still laughs about my conversation with the Secret Service guy. It went something like this:

Me: WOW! I didn't realize that the White House was this close to the road. You could shoot out a window with a BB gun from here. Now wonder you have all the crazies stay over there. motioning to the park across the street filled with protestors and numerous unwashed and unkempt people.

White House Guy with an earpiece: Ma'am

Me: So is the back door to the White House.

WHG: It's the North Entrance.

Me: So that would be the back door?

WHG: It's the North Entrance.

Me; So which one is the main entrance on the lawn?

WHG: That's the South Entrance.

Me: Well, wouldn't that make the "North Entrance" the back door and that (pointing) would be the "West Wing."

He cracked a smile.

When we recall this story, ZooDad always wonders how much indoctrinating these guys had to go through to remember not to call it the back door.

We stood there about 15 minutes total, talking with the WHG and chatting with the boys about the President and the White House in general. And this was a week after the congressional anthrax scare and a month after 9/11.
I didn't even get arrested. I got snickered at. I guess I'm no threat suspect.

2 comments:

Dy said...

Wow, I'm out of the loop. What's the story w/ Mrs. Sheehan? And who is Mrs. Sheehan? The only lady I'd heard of getting arrested lately was the evidently terrifying 60yo the New Orleans police decided they needed to tackle, disarm, and then turn back out onto the lawless streets of NO shortly after Katrina blew through. That was a lovely story of the gov't taking care of it's people. *sigh*

Hey, did you know that Theodore Roosevelt once told one of his Roughrider buddies (after the staff refused him access to the White House to see TR), that if he ever had trouble getting in again "just start shooting out the windows". LOL. Can you IMAGINE someone saying that today? hee hee.

Dy

Dy said...

its, no apostrophe. I can spell. Honest.