Friday, August 26, 2005

You can come too, too, too

We took the Zoo to the zoo yesterday. Guess which kid isn't mine?
(Mouse over for the answer.)
The second is my great-nephew.  He was not happy.
I have been going to the Riverbanks Zoo since they opened in 1974. In fact a pair of Gibbons on the monkey island have been at the zoo since it opened its doors.
I've been looking at the same monkeys for 30 years. This zoo specializes in breeding endangered and threatened species. It doesn't look like some fancy Zoo but it does far more.
The zoo was a second home for me while I was in college at USC. As a biology major, I had several assignments that required a trip to the zoo and there was always Free Fridays for a little zoo fun for poor college kids.

But Riverbanks is never boring. There is always something new to see. Yesterday's trip held the following treats.

New baby Penguin
Awww...that's so sweet!
His head is too the right and burrowed into the towl. This baby Emporer Penguin is only one week old. He was on display at the bird care center. The day we visited was only his second day on display. He'll be out for another week and then the public won't be able to see him until he is 9 months old and joins the rest of the flock. Emporer Penguins get about 3 feet tall. This little guy was about 5 inches long.

Three Baby Tigers
I need to learn how to use this camera
These Siberian Tiger Cubs are three months old. They just came on display. They are triplets who were born to a second time mom. She was unabel to nurse her first cubs so they were hand fed. She is nursing these on her own so the family gets to stay together.
Their father was an orphaned cub who was found in Russia then hand reared and brought to America. New baby tigers with wild blood.

And finally....
the smiling goat
Say cheese
I don't know anything clever about the goat. I've just never seen a smiling goat before.
He just kept grinning at us. It was kind of wierd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! My family is in Greenville!! We go through Columbia every time I head home. If I'm down that way again...perhaps we can meet for lunch!