I often read on the various homeschool boards about the "fine literature" that these homeschoolers' children are reading. And that they would never let their children read "twaddle" or at the very least, they would severely restrict it. That TV and video games are out. That these inappropriate TV and games that are available to others...Shouldn't be. And that the kids do school year round with minimal breaks because every moment should be a teaching moment.
Hmmmmmm........
Wow.
We've been off for the summer. I'm probably one of the few homeschoolers I know who just lets her kids veg like mushrooms all summer long. Heck, I don't even wait until summer. We started this in May. LOL
The boys play video games (including the Sims...but only the Pet shop version), drag out toys (non-educational ones), play outside, and lay around. My only rules are: you have to do your chores, you have to bathe and get dressed, and no Gamecube before breakfast. You can read if you want, but I'm not going to make you.
By the end of July, the boys are begging to start their new books and to visit the bookstore and library. They get bored with veging and want to get back to work.
I caved and took then to B&N on Tuesday. M picked up a Magic Tree House book. (He's 6.) and J (age 9) picked out the first of a series about Owls. I read it. It's like Redwall but shorter and with owls instead of mice. Both children have finished their books.
It's Thursday morning.
This is why I hate buying books. They go through books like water. (Says the woman who read the last paperback she picked up, in three days.) It's like a waste of money. But I'm forced to since our library doesn't have many of these titles.
Books are actually my guilty pleasure. I wish I could say that I regularly pick up out the classics or works of fine literature.
I don't.
I love Anne Rice, both her vampire chronicles and the Witches of Mayfair.
I've read and re-read all of them. Right now I'm into Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mystery Series.
Alabama and Louisiana vampires. Too funny.
In this series, a vampire was the morgue attendant when Elvis died. You guess where this is going. The transformation was not that successful and "the King" is now known as "Bubba." Southern life, mystery writing, and vampires...it's a great mix.
I read what I like to read. I read twaddle. Yes, I have read many of the classics. Yes, I have read some of the great educational books. But that stuff can be pretty boring sometimes.
I'm looking forward to Mary Janice Davidson's book arriving this week so I can enjoy Undead and Unappreciated while ZooDad is gone next week.
Given my tastes in literature, why should I be surprised that my son is reading Charlie Bone and dragon books and books about Owls planning to overthrow a cruel tyrant. (That owl series is pretty good. I need to buy the next book so I can pre-read it. Oh yeah.)
So we aren't reading Homer and Don Quiote. We're reading. And we are choosing to read over all other types of entertainment. We're reading for the pure love of hearing the tale. And just because we're reading owl twaddle right now, doesn't mean we can't enjoy the great literature next month or next year.
What matters most to me right now is having boys that chose to read a book. And raising them to understand that reading and fun are not mutually exclusive.
3 comments:
OK, bad homeschooler - I did totally miss the reference. And, if you look at my third child, you will find that I am SORELY neglecting his literary indoctrination. The child knows Ghost Riders in the Sky and Rawhide, but not a single nursery rhyme. I've tried to correct that, but he puts his hand over my mouth and cries. *sigh*
I laughed when I read about your southern vampire humor. A dear friend of mine in AZ calls every Thursday and we clean our homes while we chat (makes it less painful). We always share what we've read and try to induce the other to read some of our own picks. Every time I ask, "So, have you read Atlas Shrugged yet?" She says, "No. Have you read those vampire books yet?" I always remind her that I can't find them at the library based on "those vampire books" and she can never remember the author's name while we're on the phone. I'll have to get one this week - she LOVES them - and surprise her by saying YES for a change next week.
Enjoy your reading!
Dy
Does your library have any sort of interlibrary loan?
I, too, go through books WAY too fast to be worth the price paid.
So I try the library first, even reserving books I want and waiting for them to come in. Then I check Half Price Books. Then thrift stores. And TRY to put on hold for books that I can't find right away -- and only spend money on new books that I will reread over and over and have room on the shelves for.
I love the books by M.J. Davidson!! I did not know there was another one coming out, but I have been trying to keep track of her. I have read most (if not all) of the Anne Rice vampire books, and only the first of the Mayfair witches (that one rather bothered me a bit). So glad to find a homeschooling mama who enjoys these books. :-)
Post a Comment