I am not a graceful person. Seriously, I have trouble walking and talking at the same time. It doesn't take me to send me careening onto the ground.
Tuesday, I took a little tumble. I was attempting to put a small Radio Flyer wagon in my van so M and I could go to t-ball practice.
I step oddly and my foot turned under.
Down I went.
Man, it hurt. I didn't pass out (The ER doc asked me that.) but I did see stars. In the moment afterwards, all I could think was "shoe off, shoe off."
When I got my shoe off, it was not pretty.
My MIL was staying with us since this is Standardized testing week and I am my support group's test coordinator. She ran out to help me as I lay there writhing in pain in the very center of our driveway.
I hobbled inside and then decided that I needed to got he ER. My sweet sister came to get me and practically carried me to her SUV. I made quite a spectacle. Enough that two of my neighbors came out to help.
Serious pain.
It's not broken. I think it would be better if it was. I go to my regular doctor tomorrow after the swelling goes down a little. (It hasn't gone down at all.)
Currently, I'm wearing a brace and using crutches.
I won't even begin to tell you how much fun it is to take care of 4 kids while you are crutches. Big time fun...woohoo!
Yesterday was very hard for me. It was the last day of testing. After testing I was supposed to put all the tables and chairs back, take down and pack all the partitions, and load all the snacks and supplies I had brought.
I couldn't do any of that. I couldn't even patrol the halls to make sure everyone was ok.
I just sat in the break room and waited for news. Then everyone else did all my work for me while I drew diagrams and tried to explain how to "put things back."
It was so hard for me.
I'm a "I'll do that" kind of person. I enjoy being Super Woman. I'm proud of it even. I am ferociously independent and a type A personality. I can't stand being waited on.Sitting around while stuff is happening is torture.
But it was so amazing that all these families (34 in all) happily did any thing that I needed them too. It all got done.
When I got home, I felt so humbled and so grateful and privileged that I know these people. I am so thankful for their gracious help.
Maybe I don't have to be Superwoman all the time.
But if I could fly, I wouldn't have to use these stupid crutches. That would be a lot easier.
1 comment:
You know, I totally understand. It's hard to let others do things for us. Sometimes, though, it's important to let people do for you, as well as you doing for them. That's part of "the good stuff"- that the road really does go both ways.
Happy Healing! I hope you can ditch the crutches before they drive you all the way over the edge.
Dy
Post a Comment