Today I enrolled my 6 year old at the local elementary school. Officially.
It was weird. The secretary thought I was, for a lack of a better word, dumb. She could see that I had a child almost my size and could not figure out why I was having so much trouble filling out the paperwork. I had to explain that I homeschooled and had never enrolled any of my children in a school.
Ever.
Not even Mothers Morning Out.
Not even pre-school.
Well, once for day care but J was only in day care for 10 weeks and that was 9 years ago.
She asked and was shocked, horrified, and then very cautious of me since I must obviously be close to the edge of sanity being home all day with
Of course, M won't actually go to school there. He's just going for speech therapy once a week for half an hour. But the school is planning for him to be there until next March. They want to hang on to my little guy and they haven't even gotten him in the room yet.
My nine year old looked around the place with some contempt and once again confirmed that he didn't "have to" go there. According to him, they have a very small library and the food smelled funny. After peeking into a few rooms he confirmed that he wasn't missing much.
Afterwards we went to the library and checked out as many books as we could carry and had an early lunch at Pizza Hut with our Book-it coupons.
Poor school can't compete with that.
1 comment:
{{hugs}}
I wish there were more "dumb" moms like you out there. Good luck w/ the speech therapy and avoiding the grip of the State. Eek.
Dy
Post a Comment