This is all I'm going to say about the case in Florida. And I say this as a person who has lost all her grandparents, her father-in-law, and her father in ways that could never be compared to "dignified" deaths.
Let's just pretend for a moment that I, as a reasonably healthy and sane adult, decided to starve myself to death. I made this decision, informed dear ZooDad of it and had his support. If my state powers-that-be found out, they would involuntarily commit me and force me to eat.
AND...if I somehow managed to starve myself to death without the state finding out, the state would press charges against my husband for assisted manslaughter.
Now, if for some reason my darling ZooDad decided to starve me to death and I was not in a state where I could prevent this from happening (either mentally or physically), he would be charged with murder.
Interesting.
BTW, I know some will say...but it's different in cases of terminal illness.
Nope, it isn't.
1 comment:
Sheila, I tried to comment on this the other day, but Blogger gets finicky sometimes.
I have not written about this, either. But I love how eloquently and succinctly you've spoken your thoughts.
Thank you for taking the time to share them.
Dy
Post a Comment