Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Oh Tuesday, how I love you

We have no plans on Tuesdays. No where to go, nothing to do but what we want to do. No OT, no Speech, no scouts, no errands, no library. We just stay home. When ZooDad is home, we send him off to work and spend the day just doing fun things. Tuesday is art day. Tuesday is fun project day. Tuesday is Nature Study day. Tuesday is the day I read lots of stories and play games. Tuesday is read what ever interests you day. Tuesday is a no workbook day. None...at all. The only writing is writing done by choice. (And remarkably a lot of writing gets done.) Tuesday is no TV day. Well, the TV is on but thanks to Comcast cable, we listen to music all day...all different kinds of music. No computer games, not even educational ones. Tuesday is not a school day according to J8.

Tueday is no chore day. Except to take out the trash and load and unload the dishwasher. We have Pop-tarts for breaskfast, sandwiches for lunch and ZooDad picks up "cheap pizza", which leaves few dishes to wash. We don't even make the beds.

Tuesday is play outside day. Tuesday is basketball day and sidewalk chalk day and pull your brother around in his wagon day. If it is raining, Tueday is built forts in the house day and make cookies day.

It amazes me how much all of the kids look forward to Tuesday. They enjoy the scheduled unstructure. It gives them a day to just learn about what they want to learn about. It's a fun free feeling.

It also shows me how hard successful unschooling must be. I can do it one day a week, but seven would kill me. I am literally run ragged by the end of the day by all of our "non-school" stuff. Plus there is the general "what if they don't learn what the need' worry that comes to us fledgling unschoolers. I would worry about covering what was needed to know. I would stress about the fact that my 5 year old was still not reading well or that my 8 year old didn[t test as highly as I wanted on last year's ITBS. I would worry myself to sickness and give up.

I just can't release all of that "school must be done" feeling. But I can do it once a week.

~Happy Tuesday!~



Adding***

The boys are currently drawing their own zoo animals for their Zoo ala' Zootycoon. (Which I always read as Zooty Coon for some reason.) Beanie babies of all sorts are placed in various habitats and terrains made out of paper, fabric, and my couch cushions. A2 has 2 large blue jay beanie and 3 teeny beanie blue jays in a nest. My little Apraxic child is telling me to "Sssssssssss, mum" since the "babies seepin."

No comments: