Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I have to buy new glasses

But not for me. My old ones are doing just fine.

Not for Matthew. His are old and worn out. They look terrible. But he found out today that he will be out of glasses for at least 2 months. His vision is doing great after his third eye surgery. (He's up to 20/25 without glasses. He started out at 20/80 when he was 4.) His alignment is off a little though but is actually better without the glasses.

Nope, the new glasses are for the baby. (I know he's 5 but he is my "baby.") Two weeks ago, I noticed that his eye were crossing. I tried not to freak out and scheduled an appointment with the ophthalmologist.
Today we found out that Sam is crossing his eyes because the boy is pretty far sighted. Holey Moley! I just checked his prescription and he's +5.00 and +4.50!
I can't read without my glasses and I'm only +2.50 and +2.75.

Poor guy. No wonder he has been having a hard time catching a ball. He couldn't see the stinking thing. I hope that this will be the quick fix that the doctor thinks it will be. I hope he can avoid all the interventions that his older brother has had to go through. (patching, various prescriptions and three surgeries.)

We go tomorrow to pick out the new frames and order lenses. He's not as cooperative and responsible as his older brother who started glasses at age 4. I'll have to get the super extended warranty.
Fun, fun, fun.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

poor kid, I'm glad you found it and sounds like your older son is doing great with is glasses and surgeries!

Sarah said...

I am waiting the day mine will need glasses...they come from a long line of terribly nearsighted people on both sides. So far they are fine...I think....

I've got 4 boys too....a bit younger though- 7,5,3, and 1.

Dy said...

I'm SO glad to hear that the surgery has produced such fantastic results. (It's always scary to turn our babies over for something like that, and it's always a relief when what was supposed to happen, actually happens.) Whew, that took some effort to say without it sounding jumbled, and I'm not entirely sure I managed, still.

Here is hoping your awesome eye team can do wonders for your baby! (I know what you mean - they can turn 40, and they'll still be our babies.)

dy

Bridget said...

My two oldest escaped glasses so far but Blake (10) has been wearing them now for 3 years. This year we not only replaced the regular bendable glasses but we also bought sports goggles for football and baseball. I thought I was going to have to take out a
2nd mortgage on the house before we made it out of the store. We don't have vision coverage with out insurance, talk about a hit to the pocket.