If you are a military wife whose husband is deployed or about to be deployed...avoid reading The Time Traveler's Wife.
I finished that one a few nights ago and it has been haunting me every night since. I can relate to Claire, waiting for her life to begin again and never quite knowing when it will be disturbed. The resolve to just keep going each day, knowing that her love would be back when he could. It just hit way to close to home.
ZooDad has always traveled. He was either Active Duty and traveling or a Military contractor and traveling. For every year of our almost 13 years married, he's been gone for at least a quarter of it. We even dated long distance, only seeing each other on weekends for months. So we're used to him being gone for a week or so each month. In fact, having him around for months at a time is an anomaly.
What has scared me most about this deployment has been how easy it has been to deal with not having him around. Part of me feels guilty for just going on about my business and handling everything with not that much trouble.
The other part of me just misses my Darling.
I'll have to find another book to read. Something to wash the thoughts from the last book out of my brain. To cleanse my thinking palette so to speak.
2 comments:
That was the first book I read after David deployed in 2005. It had me from page one, literally. That is exactly how it feels, isn't it?
The power of the written word is astounding, isn't it? To capture our thoughts, or to create them... emotions distilled straight from our minds into print. Wow.
How about "Diary of a Mad Bride"? I laughed until I cried at that one, and it was nowhere near my own wedding when I read it. And a box of Zebra Cakes, just for good measure. ;-)
{{hugs}}
Dy
Post a Comment