Friday, June 10, 2005

My pity party

I had a little sad moment yesterday with my SID/apraxia kid, A. Thursdays have been rough for a few weeks. Mainly because we get such discouraging news on Wednesday's therapy and I spend Thursday trying to implement some new thing that was suggested.

Yesterday, I decided that it was time to drag out my Easy Does it For Apraxia and start all over at the beginning...even making a new notebook.

That's where the sad moment comes in.

A was trying to color in the turtle to go on the cover of his notebook. He was trying to hold the marker the way Miss Beth showed him...and having great difficulty. He even made sure he used his "helper hand." But it was very hard for him to color in entirely and he went out of the lines...a lot.

I told him he was doing a good job.

We wailed..."No, I'm not. Look." and pointed out his mistakes.

I told him that we were going to cut it out so no one would see that part.

He's almost 4 and he can't color. And it bothers him.

sigh

He was finally proud of his work, once I cut out the turtle and glued it on is notebook. So, it turned out ok for him.

I went to the toy store and bought some coloring books with black backgrounds. Now if he goes out of the lines, it won't show up. He needs some successes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a 5yo son who is gifted and has no Ld's, Yet he can't colour in the lines either. Oh, my 30yo dh can't either. LOL Be encouraged he will grow and learn and be the Man God wants him to be.