Thursday, January 20, 2005

Amazing A! The Potty trained maestro

My third son is developmentally delayed. He's about a year behind in fine motor skills and about 6 months or so in gross motor skills. He also has a speech disability called Apraxia.
Mainly it is a motor planning disorder that affects a lot of stuff besides speech.
So he managed to get through 3 years and 7 months without learning to use the potty. He just couldn't figure it out. His body just wouldn't let him.

Last Thursday, I stuck him in some plastic covered training pants. He wet them three times and got REALLY mad each time. Then it clicked.

Friday, he wore plain old training pants. He had no accidents. WooHoo!

Saturday, we tempted fate and got away with it. We were at the church rec court from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. Four boys, three in underwear and one change of clothes. Again, A proved he had the right stuff and even managed to use the great big huge toilets in the handicapped stall.

Staying dry at night will prove to be an issue. I've got him in Pull-ups, just in case. But overall, I am amazed. The Wednesday before we started, his occupational therapist said that he might be 4 or even 5 before he had control of those muscles and had the awareness.
I love her..but I'm glad she was wrong.

Funniest part of the whole thing:
I bought Nemo underwear...which he loves! When I told him that he could not put on the previous day's underwear he started wailing, "Dey no dirrrree." I told him that they were dirty but I would wash them and could wear them again when they were clean. He stared at me. I could see the gear whirring in that head of his but could not fathom what he was processing. Then he looked at me suspiciously..."You ach em? Den dey keen?" I said yes, that I could wash them and they would be clean. It then occurred to me that he hadn't had any experience in washing and reusing undergarments. I guess he though that dirty Nemo underwear were thrown away just like dirty diapers. Maybe we should have used cloth.

1 comment:

Dy said...

Oh, that is so sweet! I'll bet you're so very proud of him- as well you should be. I'm cheering over here, too! YAHOO!!!!

Dy