The end of the school year approaches and I once again begin my quest for perfection...the quest for the perfect curriculum. I'm sure it is out there for other people, but not for me.
I've looked at Calvert. I am very impressed with it and I should be considering the price. But since the exclusive secular private school here is 10k a year...600 bucks is a bargain. I don't want to give up the things that I do enjoy using though and I don't want to pay all that money and not use the program.
Once again I reach the proverbial Rock and Hard place.
What works?
Spelling workout for one. J8 loves it. He can teach himself, which I also enjoy. I also appreciate that groups list words by phonetic rules. I also like the writing assignments and proofreading exercises. We'll be using level D next year.
Story of the World is another winner. We're plugging our way through book one but we are loving it. I really enjoy this history program. I hope it doesn't let me down on American History though.
Grammar is up in the air. I'm trying to determine if we will use the McGraw-Hill book again, a textbook again, or Primary Language lessons. I just don't know yet. I keep hearing how Abeka grammar is great and how Rod and Staff English in fabulous. I've looked through those. The religion is pervasive. Though I am spiritual...I am not religious. I just don't see why God need to be involved in teaching sentence structure.
Writing Strands is on the list for creative writing although it probably isn't needed. J8 writes constantly. He comes up with stories, poetry, and even comic books on his own. Let's just say that he's an 8 year old Steven King in producing works of writing. M5 is just getting into the idea of writing. I fear that he might end up as prolific as his older brother.
Math is another area of contention. We've been using MCP math, but I fear there are holes in our math education. I'm not quite committed to somthing as involved as Math-U-See however. I'd do Rod and Staff but for previously stated objections. Horizons and Abeka are also cautious ideas. I may just splurge on Calvert Math and call it a day.
Reading is an easy one. J8 read several books a week. We'll just start doing some book reports. Of course that means that I'll have to read the same books to make up some lessons. I hope I can keep up with him. LOL
Science is going to be the main issue. There's nothing on the market but Creation Science and I just can not do Creation Science. It is not going to happen. I just don't see why I can't be Christian and think Darwin was on to something. I don't see the two ideas as mutually exclusive. So I am writing my own Chemisty and Earth Science plans. The hard part is going to be finding a spine. Heck, I spent 4 years writing science lesson plans for other people's children. I think I can manage to come up with a hard science program for my own flesh and blood. If I do come up with a hqard plan, we'll just flit about like we have bee doing. Hmmmmm....maybe fliting about *is* the plan. The only problem is that the zoo boys will end up heavy on biology, chemistry, and physical science and light space science, geology, and physics.
So those are the major plans. There is more to be filled in. Spanish and Logic are decided. Handwriting is up in the air since we have yet to introduce cursive. (My oldest is only a second grader so I'm not too late.) M5 will be a kindy next year but he'll be doing 1st grade work and doing SOTW and Science with his older brother...so that won't require additional planning.
Now to just keep away from the Sonlight Catalog. For some strange reason, I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame.
No comments:
Post a Comment